Working Holiday New Zealand
At a glance
- Age: 18-30 years old
- Duration: Up to 12 months
- Language: Knowledge of English
- Starting Dates: Year round
- You must fulfil the Terms and Conditions of the Working Holiday Visa (WHV) (see left)
We help you hit the road!
We have developed the “Working Holiday in New Zealand” programme based on the Working Holiday Visa, and we offer our participants detailed advice as they apply for this visa. We will also offer assistance as you take out travel insurance, which will cover you for your entire working holiday in New Zealand.
Working Holiday Visa Requirements
You are allowed to travel and work for up until 12 months in New Zealand with a Working Holiday Visa. You will be able to work at just about any type of job you can find. This means that you can finance much of your working holiday in New Zealand with the money you earn there. The requirements shown below apply for UK citizens:
- 18-30 years old (at the time of application).
- Must depart for New Zealand within 12 months after application. (You may still participate if you have turned 31 since you applied for the visa.)
- Choice to stay up to 12 or 23 months.
- Visa costs of £ 60, payable to the New Zealand Embassy.
- Possible to work up to 12 months for the same employer.
- This visa is issued only once to each person.
- Proof of possession of at least NZ$ 350 (about £ 220) for each month of your stay.
For people from other nationalities: If your country has made an appropriate visa agreement with New Zealand, you will be able to participate in a working holiday in New Zealand, but you may need to fulfil requirements different from those listed above. Please check to see if you are eligible for a Working Holiday Visa at: http://www.immigration.govt.nz.
Kia Ora - Services in New Zealand
Once you have landed in Auckland, exhausted by the long journey and time difference, your first stop will be a downtown hostel where you can fall into a ready-made bed! Our partner organisation's staff will be your contact people in New Zealand, informing and advising you on a wide range of topics during an informational workshop. In particular, they will assist you in your search for a job.
Our partners will help you apply for a tax file number and bank account, both necessary for working in New Zealand. They will also answer the following questions:
- Where, when, and how can I find a job?
- What should I look out for when buying a car?
- Where can I find cheap transportation and accommodation in New Zealand?
Take advantage of the internet access and pin board with job offers, located in the Auckland office. You can also write your C.V. and meet other backpackers in the office's comfortable lounge.
The office will serve as a contact point during your entire working holiday in New Zealand - even when you are travelling. If you need help during your working holiday in New Zealand, just let us know - we'll be there for you, together with our partners in New Zealand!
Working Holiday New Zealand
- Activities: You can land all sorts of jobs, from kiwi harvester to salesperson, from ski instructor to filling station attendant.
- Working hours and time off: Depends on the job.
- Specifics: During your working holiday in New Zealand, you will be searching for and lining up your own jobs with the help of information and contacts from TravelWorks and our partner organisation.
- Duration: There is no minimum length of stay. However, we recommend a couple of months, to a maximum of 12 or 23 months (for UK participants).
- Application: At least 6-8 weeks before departure. We are happy to receive your application earlier than this.
- Starting Dates: Our New Zealand programme starts year round.
- Practical experience: Not necessary, but an advantage for some jobs.
- Other: Please observe the Terms and Conditions of the Working Holiday Visa.