Volunteer in Zambia
Zambia, a landlocked country at the heart of South Africa, offers rich wildlife and landscapes, a fascinating culture, and friendly people, who will make you want to stay forever. As rich as Zambia is in terms of culture and wildlife, most Zambians live in poverty. All the more reason to pitch in and help this intriguing country!
Volunteer abroad in Zambia
At a glance
- Age: 18 years and above (Sport Project: 18-40 years)
- Duration: 2 - 8 weeks
- Language: Good knowledge of English
- Starting Dates: Every 1st and 3rd Monday of the month.
Zambia is in urgent need of improved infrastructure and medical care. Chronic malnutrition, child labour, and increasing migration into cities are only a few of the pressing problems here. As a volunteer in Zambia, you won't just provide help where it is urgently needed - you will also return to your home country with many new experiences and impressions of the world.
As you volunteer in Zambia, your temporary home will be Livingstone, also called Maramba, with over 100,000 inhabitants. The city is mainly known for its proximity to the world-famous Victoria Falls on the border between Zambia and Zimbabwe. Here, the Zambezi River falls over 100 m - a natural spectacle, which you will have the chance to see when you volunteer in Zambia!
Orientation and accommodation in Zambia
Before you begin to volunteer in Zambia, you will have an orientation programme. Our partners will visit the various volunteer projects with you, to give you an impression of what you will do as a volunteer in Zambia. At the same time, you will get to know other volunteers and make contacts.
Accommodation in Zambia
Together with other volunteers from all over the world, you will stay in a shared room in a volunteer house. The house is equipped with:
- A comfortable living room
- A spacious kitchen
- A large garden
- A swimming pool
A cook will prepare your lunch and supper as you volunteer in Zambia. You will be provided with food to prepare your own breakfast, which is also included in the programme price.
Volunteer in Zambia
- Activities: What you do as a volunteer in Zambia will depend on the project and on your previous experience. You will work approximately 40 hours per week.
- Free Time: Usually at the weekends.
- Duration: 2 - 8 weeks. For starting dates in May, June, and July, a maximum stay of 4 weeks is allowed.
- Application: At least 2 months before departure. We are happy to receive applications much earlier than this, because places are very limited.
- Starting Dates: Every first and third Monday in the month at the following dates: 20 Dec. 2010 as well as 3 Jan., 17 Jan., 7 Feb., 21 Feb., 7 Mar., 21 Mar., 4 Apr., 18 Apr., 2 May, 16 May, 6 June, 20 June, 4 July, 18 July, 1 Aug., 15 Aug., 5 Sept., 19 Sept., 3 Oct., 17 Oct., 7 Nov., 21 Nov., 5 Dec., 19 Dec. 2011. Please note that this programme is booked out in June and July.
October to April is the rainy season.
School Holidays: Starting on 4 Dec. 2010. Holiday dates for 2011 will be online shortly. Activities during the school holidays: See Volunteer Work in Zambia.
- Practical Experience: Not necessary for most projects, but it would certainly make your stay easier and more interesting. If you are doing or have completed your studies or training in the field of medicine/nursing, you may be able to take on assignments with a higher level of responsibility after you have presented suitable certification.
- Other: Patience, self-sufficiency, flexibility, adaptability, and personal initiative are essential, as well as the ability to handle very basic living and working conditions. Travel experience will also be an advantage as you volunteer abroad in Zambia.