Volunteers in China
China is a country of extreme proportions and contrasts. The most northern town of Mohe lies in line with Berlin, and the tropical island of Hainan is situated on the same degree of latitude as the south Sahara. Between these extremes are gigantic cities, monuments to imperial dynasties, fertile lowlands, Mongolian grass steppes, and vast deserts.
Discover China on a boat trip down the Yangtze, the third largest river in the world. Travel along the millennium-old Silk Road or hike along the Great Wall, one of the largest constructions made by man.
- Capital city: Beijing
- Currency: Yuan Renminbi (approx. 0.10 €)
- Climate: January -4 °C, July 26 °C (average temperature, Beijing)
- Visa: Tourist Visa (subject to a fee), passport required
- Food: Dim sum (filled pastry pockets), Peking duck, Hot Pot (Chinese Fondue), baked banana
- Sightseeing: The Great Wall, the Emperor's Palace in Beijing, the clay soldiers belonging to the first Emperor in Xi'an, the gardens of Chengde, Leshan Dafo, the Bund Promenade in Shanghai
- Population: 1.3 billion
- Area: 9,572,395 km²
- Language: Mandarin Chinese, dialects and minority languages
- Form of government: People's Republic
You can find further information for volunteers in China at www.lonelyplanet.com.