Volunteer in Chile
As a volunteer in Chile, you will experience a land of extremes: the country’s proportions alone are impressive, with a length of over 4,300 km and a width of only about 180 km. In Chile, you will find the driest place and southernmost city in the world. Glaciers, geysers, fjords, snow-covered mountain chains, brightly-coloured ocean waters, and moon landscapes complete the fascinating spectrum of sceneries, which are home to incredibly diverse flora and fauna.
At a Glance
- Age: 18 and above. P5: 21 and above. P1: 18 - 30 years of age.
- Duration: 8 weeks
- Language: Knowledge of Spanish is an advantage (required for P1, P3, and P5), but not absolutely necessary. Good to very good English skills required.
- Starting Dates: Usually every Monday
Volunteer in Chile: Language Course
Chile is a paradise for nature lovers, but also for anyone interested in the cultures of Latin America. With the combination of a language course and volunteer work, you will have the chance to experience the diversity and allure of Chile first-hand.
Your language school is located in a quiet side-street in Santiago’s Providencia district, where you will begin your stay in Chile with a 4-week language course. Together with a maximum of seven other course participants, you will dive into the Spanish language, in a course suited to your skill level.
In addition to your four Spanish courses each day (each class lasts about 50 minutes), the language school also organises various free-time activities. A half-day orientation tour through the capital city will help you get accustomed to your new surroundings.
Accommodation in Chile
During the language course at the beginning of your time in Chile, you will live with a host family in a private room, receiving half-board.
Later, during the volunteer work, you will stay with a host family, in a hostel, in a cabańa, or at the project site, depending on which project you are doing. In Project 4, you will be camping from November to March, with half-board.
Free time activities at the language school
Free time activities may include:
- Visiting a vineyard,
- Salsa and cooking instruction,
- Grilling evenings and
- At the weekend, excursions in the local surroundings.
Before you begin to volunteer in Chile, you will be prepared to speak the language as you meet other students from around the world.
Volunteer in Chile:
- Activities: See project descriptions.Depending on the project, you will work up to 8 hours a day.
- Free time: At the weekend.
- Specifics: The schools are closed during the Chilean summer holidays, from December to March, as well as during the winter holidays in July. Alternative placements in summer schools or other projects are possible upon request.
- Duration: 8 weeks. Longer upon request.
- Age: 18 and above. P5: age 21 and above. P1: up to 30 years of age.
- Application: As early as possible, at least 2-3 months before departure.
- Starting Dates: Usually every Monday. P1/P2/P3/P5: March to October (not including a few days in July and September); P4: November to May.
- Visa: Free tourist visa upon entry in Chile, return flight ticket and valid passport required.
- Practical Experience: Not necessary, though it would make your stay simpler.
- Other: A certain degree of independence, adaptability, initiative, and flexibility are absolutely necessary, as is the ability to live and work under very basic conditions. P4/P5: Physical fitness is important. P5: After you have applied for the programme, we may hold an interview with you over the telephone, to test your English language skills. Travel experience is an advantage.