Volunteers in Peru
Peru, with its emerald-green mountain passes, bright Indio markets, and centuries-old cities is understandably one of the most popular tourist spots in Latin America. The fantastic city of Cusco, nestled in the Andes Mountains, will be the starting point of your Peruvian adventure, lasting 3, 5, or 8 weeks.
- Capital city: Lima
- Currency: Nuevo Sol (approximately 0.22 €)
- Climate: January 22 °C, July 16 °C (average temperature in Lima)
- Visa: Free tourist permit on arrival (valid for 90 days), passport and return ticket required
- Food: Papas rellenas (stuffed potatoes)
- Sightseeing: Cusco, Inca Trail (hiking trail to Machu Picchu), Lake Titicaca, the monastery of Arequipa, the Colca Canyon, the Misti Volcano, villages and Inca ruins in the Holy Valley, the Amazon region.
- Population: 27.5 million.
- Area: 1,285,216 km²
- Language: Spanish, Quechua, Aymara
- Form of Government: Republic
You can find further information on Peru at www.lonelyplanet.com