Volunteer in Peru
Peru, with its emerald-green mountain passes, bright Indio markets, and centuries-old cities is understandably one of the most popular tourist spots in Latin America. The fantastic city of Cusco, nestled in the Andes Mountains, will be the starting point of your Peruvian adventure, lasting 3, 5, or 8 weeks.
Volunteer in Peru
At a glance
- Age: 18 years and above
- Duration: 5 or 8 weeks, extra weeks possible
- Language: Knowledge of Spanish is an advantage, but only necessary for the 5-week programme.
- Starting Dates: Every Saturday excluding holidays
Cusco offers a fantastic window to the past. The ancient indigenous cultures and Spanish colonial rule of Peru are clearly visible here in the world-famous ruins of Machu Picchu and Mediterranean-style architecture, which attract countless tourists to the area. Cusco offers travellers from around the world an outstanding chance to boost their Spanish skills as they gain exciting travel experience and volunteer in Peru.
Volunteer in Peru: Language School
TravelWorks cooperates with an international language school, where Spanish classes are offered at many different skill-levels throughout the year. The one-week course (only possible if you already have knowledge of the Spanish language) or four-week course will be adapted to your current Spanish level.
Language lessons include:
- Small groups with a maximum of 6 people
- 20 classes per week, each lasting about 55 minutes
This gives you the best possible language preparation for your travels and your time as a volunteer in Peru.
After the language course and before the volunteer work begins, you will take part in an orientation organised by your language school, where you will learn about Peruvian history and culture. You will also receive useful information about volunteer work in Peru.
Spanish course accommodation
During the course, you will be staying with a host family (single room with half board) or in a student room at the school (double room with half board), depending on your preference.
If you have no prior knowledge of the Spanish language, we advise you to extend the language course before you volunteer in Peru, for an additional payment of Ł 180(US$ 295 or 220 €) per week for the course, accommodation, and meals. School employees will do their best to make you feel at home in Cusco. Not only will you receive language lessons here, you can also take part in many different activities. After class, you can kick back at the comfortable student café near the school with your fellow language students.
The school also has two branch schools outside Cusco:
- In Tambopata National Park in the rainforest
- In the famous Sacred Valley of the Inca, a gorgeous area where you can take interesting tours.
In Cusco, you will decide if you would like to take lessons at one of these two schools for an additional fee, which also covers excursions.
Volunteer in Peru: Travelling in Peru
Most projects take place in and around Cusco, and a few are in Arequipa (about 520 km from Cusco, which takes 9 hours by bus or 30 minutes by plane). This gives you the chance to explore the city and its surroundings. The intensity of the crowded marketplaces and the awe-inspiring ancient ruins are things you won't experience anywhere else. Public transportation is amazingly cheap throughout Peru, so hop on a bus and broaden your horizons!
After you volunteer in Peru, we recommend that you take some time to explore this beautiful country. You certainly shouldn't miss the Inca trail, a four-day hiking tour of the Inca ruins of Machu Picchu. This city is a famous meeting point for travellers, where you are sure to find plenty of other backpackers from around the world.
Volunteer in Peru: Overview
- Activities: Volunteer in Peru in an orphanage, hospital, or children’s day-care centre: supervise homework, help with care and leisure time activities, or teach English.
- Free Time: Usually at the weekend.
- Duration: 5 or 8 weeks (1 or 4-week language course + 4 weeks of volunteer work). Maximum stay of 183 days.
- Application: At least 2-3 months before departure. We are happy to receive application materials much earlier than this.
- Visa: Free tourist visa upon arrival (valid for 90 days). Passport and return flight ticket required.
- Starting Dates: Every Saturday, excluding holidays. Work possibilities are slightly limited from December through February, as well as in March and August, as some facilities are closed during this time. Placements in similar projects are possible.
- Practical Experience: Only required for a few projects. Experience is generally not necessary, but welcomed.
- Other: Life is not as organised in Peru as it is in Europe. Your initiative, flexibility, and creativity are indispensable. Travel experience is also an advantage for volunteers in Peru.