Volunteer in Ecuador
Though Ecuador is the smallest of the Andes countries, it is no less exciting than its neighbours. Here, you can visit South America's most famous marketplace in Otavalo, see penguins on the Galápagos Islands, and learn how to fish piranhas in the jungle! A country of contrasts, Ecuador boasts coastal banana plantations and snow-covered volcanoes, yet most destinations are within a day’s journey from the capital city of Quito.
At a glance
- Age: 18 and above
- Duration: 5 weeks to 90 days
- Language: Knowledge of Spanish is an advantage, but only necessary for the 5-week programme.
- Starting Dates: Every Saturday, except for holidays
Volunteer in Ecuador: Your destination
Quito, the capital of Ecuador, with its white houses and red roofs, is one of the most beautiful capital cities in South America. Its location is right between the mountains and the equatorial line, giving the city a mild climate throughout the year. An excellent starting point for your volunteer in Ecuador adventure!
Language course in Quito
Before you begin to volunteer in Ecuador, you will first spend one or four weeks in a Spanish course at our partner’s language school. In the 4-week course, you will be placed in a class with up to five other participants from around the world. The 1-week course is taught in private lessons.
You will be able to choose if you would like to live with a host family or in a dormitory (preceded by 2 nights in a shared hostel room). The instruction includes four lessons a day, each lasting about 50 minutes.
Upon request, we can also book additional weeks of language instruction for you. An additional week including accommodation costs Ł 180 (US$ 295 / 220 €) in a dormitory or Ł 220 (US$ 360 / 270 €) with a host family.
The school regularly organises cookouts, salsa lessons, and excursions such as:
- visits to Indio markets, or
- horseback riding tours in the country
Volunteer in Ecuador: Overview
- Activities: In nature conservation projects: assistance on ecological farms or work as a tour guide. Social projects: caring for children, accompanying children on daily excursions, and offering teaching assistance, among other tasks.
- Time off: Usually at the weekend.
- Duration: 5 weeks (1-week language course, 4 weeks of volunteer work), 8 weeks (4-weeks language course, 4 weeks volunteer work), maximum of 90 days, subject to additional fee.
- Application: It is best to apply as early as possible to volunteer in Ecuador, at least 2-3 months before departure. We are happy to receive application materials much earlier than this.
- Starting Dates: Every Saturday, except for public holidays. The project possibilities are limited between the end of November and January, as well as in July and August, as several facilities are closed during this time.
- Visa: Free tourist visa upon arrival (valid for 90 days). Passport and return flight ticket required.
- Practical experience: Not mandatory, but preferred if you work in a social project.
- Other: Since you will volunteer in Ecuador in a cultural region different from what you are used to, adaptability, flexibility, and independence are very important. You should also be aware that some of the ecological projects are located in very isolated regions.